- Free Minds and Free Markets.The value of political freedom stems from two related facts: the nature of physical force and the nature of man’s consciousness. Since force negates thought, and since the good requires chosen values, force is always harmful to man. Our culture, however, largely rejects the view of man as volitional, and therefore endorses paternalism in politics—as demonstrated, for example, by the popularity of the school of behavioral economics. This essay shows that if man is to live, he must be free to think—which means: he needs a political system that prohibits government from initiating force against the individual. (This is a revised and expanded written version of a lecture delivered in July 2009. Available in PDF format.)
- Libertarianism: The Perversion of Liberty. A booklet on why Libertarianism is incompatible with the idea of liberty.
- Introduction to The Art of Nonfiction by Ayn Rand (Plume, 2001).
- “Israel Has a Right to Exist” (chapter, co-authored with Yaron Brook, in Israel: Opposing Viewpoints, Greenhaven Press, 2005).
- “Racial ‘Diversity’ Is Racism” (chapter in Racism: Current Controversies, Greenhaven Press, 2003).
- “Israel Does Not Violate Palestinian Civil Rights” (chapter in Israel: Opposing Viewpoints, Greenhaven Press, 1989).
Among my published op-eds are
- Reconceiving the Idea of Selfishness
- Huffington Post, August 4, 2015
- Dealing with Iran: Self-Interest vs Self-Sacrifice
- Huffington Post, July 21, 2015
Memorial Day—But Don't Call it a Sacrifice
Huffington Post, May 22, 2015
Defying the Islamic Totalitarians
Huffington Post, May 14, 2015
Libertarianism vs Liberty
Huffington Post, April 27, 2015
Religion, Freedom, and the "Moderate Muslim"
Huffington Post, February 3, 2015
Christmas with Ayn Rand
Chicago Tribune, December 23, 2014
Objecting to the "Season of Giving"
Washington Post, December 19, 2014
The Opponents of ObamaCare Are Completely Missing The Point
Forbes Online, December 13, 2013
A Real Right to Life
Huffington Post, November 11, 2014
Why Is the Tea Party “Extremist”?
Forbes Online, November 11, 2013
Mob Rule Comes to Washington
Providence Journal, April 13, 2009
In Defense of Income Inequality
Tampa Tribune, March 10, 2007
Moral Values Without Religion
Post-Tribune (IN), June 2, 2005
Faith and Force
Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, January 6, 2005
American Appeasement in Iraq
Providence Journal, April 11, 2004
Foreign Policy and Self-interest
Charlotte Observer, July 25, 2003
The Racism of “Diversity”
Hartford Courant, March 26, 2003
They Hate Us, Too
Canberra Times, March 19, 2003
Israel Has a Moral Right to Its Life
Indianapolis Star, July 24, 2002
The Threat of the Paternalistic State
Tampa Tribune, July 23, 2002
Man vs Nature
Sacramento Bee, April 23, 1999
Reason vs Faith
Chicago Tribune, November 2, 1998