Skip to content
Scroll to Top
- “Free Minds and Free Markets.” What is the full meaning of a free mind? Why does force negate a conceptual consciousness? And what is the resulting connection between the value of reason and the value of capitalism? This essay illuminates the underpinnings of individual freedom—in theory and in practice.
Mr. Schwartz examines the genesis of the concept “force” in this context, distinguishing it from “force” in nature and showing how it is applicable only to volitional beings. Based upon his detailed analysis of the mind’s inability to function when subjected to force, he shows why political freedom is necessary—and possible—only because man has free will.
Further, he relates these points to such contemporary developments as evolutionary psychology and behavioral economics, as he explains why our culture’s view of man as a deterministic entity leads inexorably to demands for more government controls.
Elaborating on Ayn Rand’s point that “a free mind and a free market are corollaries,” the article demonstrates how a proper defense of capitalism does not simply require, but is, a defense of the free mind. (This is an extensively revised version of a lecture delivered by Mr. Schwartz at the 2009 Objectivist Conference in Boston.)
PDF Format (22 pages)…………………………………….. $3.95
Click HERE to Order Online through the Ayn Rand Institute eStore
- Libertarianism: The Perversion of Liberty. A booklet on why Libertarianism is incompatible with the principle of liberty. (A condensed version appears as a chapter in Ayn Rand’s The Voice of Reason, NAL, 1988.)
- Introduction to The Art of Nofiction by Ayn Rand (Plume, 2001).
- Introduction to Return of the Primitive: The Anti-Industrial Revolution by Ayn Rand (Meridian, 1999). Also, three chapters: “Gender Tribalism,” “The Philosophy of Privation” and “Multicultural Nihilism.”
- Introduction to The Ayn Rand Column (Ayn Rand Institute Press, 2015).
- “Israel Has a Right to Exist” (chapter, co-authored with Yaron Brook, in Israel: Opposing Viewpoints, Greenhaven Press, 2005).
- “Racial ‘Diversity’ Is Racism” (chapter in Racism: Current Controversies, Greenhaven Press, 2003).
- “Israel Does Not Violate Palestinian Civil Rights” (chapter in Israel: Opposing Viewpoints, Greenhaven Press, 1989).
My published articles:
- “North Korea Negotiations Rest on Fraudulent Economic Principle”
RealClearMarkets, June 26, 2018.
- “America First”: Rethinking the Meaning of Self-Interest
The Hill, November 14, 2017
- Attack of the Nanny-State
Huffington Post, November 1, 2017
- The Ideology of Violence
Huffington Post, September 15, 2017
- Saudi’s “Legalized Jihad” Is Still Jihad
Huffington Post, May 26, 2017
- Trump’s Bombing of Syria: What’s the Principle?
Huffington Post, April 19, 2017
- Fact-Checking the Fact-Checkers
Huffington Post, September 8, 2016
- The Zika Virus and Politicized Science
Huffington Post, August 22, 2016
- The Shackles of Paternalism
Huffington Post, March 18, 2016
- What If We Had No FDA?
Huffington Post, December 7, 2015
- The Collectivist Mentality
Huffington Post, November 9, 2015
- The Correct Answer to All the Soak-the-Rich Tax Schemes
RealClearMarkets, October 27, 2015
- A Rational Case for Gun Ownership
RealClearPolitics, October 14, 2015
- Trump and the Meaning of Egoism
Huffington Post, September 28, 2015
- “Women’s Viagra”—Why Should Government Decide?
Huffington Post, September 5, 2015
- Reconceiving the Idea of Selfishness
Huffington Post, August 4, 2015
- Dealing with Iran: Self-Interest vs Self-Sacrifice
Huffington Post, July 21, 2015
- Memorial Day—But Don’t Call it a Sacrifice
Huffington Post, May 22, 2015
- Defying the Islamic Totalitarians
Huffington Post, May 14, 2015
- Libertarianism vs Liberty
Huffington Post, April 27, 2015
- Religion, Freedom, and the “Moderate Muslim”
Huffington Post, February 3, 2015
- Christmas with Ayn Rand
Chicago Tribune, December 23, 2014
- Objecting to the “Season of Giving”
Washington Post, December 19, 2014
- The Opponents of ObamaCare Are Completely Missing The Point
Forbes Online, December 13, 2013
- A Real Right to Life
Huffington Post, November 11, 2014
- Why Is the Tea Party “Extremist”?
Forbes Online, November 11, 2013
- Mob Rule Comes to Washington
Providence Journal, April 13, 2009
- In Defense of Income Inequality
Tampa Tribune, March 10, 2007
- Moral Values Without Religion
Post-Tribune (IN), June 2, 2005
- Faith and Force
Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, January 6, 2005
- American Appeasement in Iraq
Providence Journal, April 11, 2004
- Foreign Policy and Self-interest
Charlotte Observer, July 25, 2003
- The Racism of “Diversity”
Hartford Courant, March 26, 2003
- They Hate Us, Too
Canberra Times, March 19, 2003
- Israel Has a Moral Right to Its Life
Indianapolis Star, July 24, 2002
- The Threat of the Paternalistic State
Tampa Tribune, July 23, 2002
- Man vs Nature
Sacramento Bee, April 23, 1999
- Reason vs Faith
Chicago Tribune, November 2, 1998